Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Questions

I get lots of questions. I guess that tends to happen when you travel around meeting new people and telling them about an upcoming journey to somewhere not here. "When do you leave?" "Do you speak Chinese?" "What city will you be in?" That last one always kills me. I mean, unless I say Beijing then people don't really know where the city is anyways. But those are just surface questions. Sure, people do actually want to know the answers, but when it comes down to it, it isn't what they really care about. Once you get past all upfront questions and people feel comfortable enough, they ask me what they really--deep down--want to find out: "Why the heck are you going to China?!"

It's a pretty good question. I always try to answer as best I can.

Mostly I say, "God told me to."

And that is certainly true. But it leaves out the whole story of how its true, that I often don't have time to tell--or if I do tell it I cut and edit and don't get to tell it proper. So I thought, "You know this is just what a blog is for: to tell things properly that need a proper telling." So my next couple of posts will tell my story. Did I always plan on being a missionary? Why China? What do I mean God told me to? All this and more coming soon.

Grace and Peace,
~J.L. Smith~

p.s. I know it is slightly unfair to write a whole post about a future unwritten post, and I would write out my whole story right here and now... if it weren't already one in the morning!

p.p.s. Readers will have to excuse my current writing style. Having just finished The Catcher in the Rye I have a whole host of bad habits stuck in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment